All our staff are committed to bringing learning to life for our children and actively seek ways to extend learning beyond the classroom. These vary year on year but below is a selection to show you the broad range of opportunities:
1. Visiting Authors – Peter J. Murray and Dan Smith are among our favourites who have been in to school to discuss their craft and inspire the children to become better readers and writers.
2. Visits – we take advantage of activities in our locality such as: a recent trip to Beamish Museum to support learning in English and History; a Tudor workshop in Hexham Gaol; an art workshop at Woodhorn Colliery; the annual KS3 residential trip to London to explore our nation’s capital city and experience live theatre; family ski trip to France; Geography field trips to High Force and Ingram Valley; cultural visits such as trips to mosques and to Chinatown in Newcastle.
3. Clubs – we run a variety of extra-curricular clubs such as – Homework Club, Journalism Club, Cookery Club, Football, Netball, Fitness, Penny Whistle Club, Brass Band, Choir, i-pad Club and Art Club. These will vary each year depending on the needs of our pupils.
4. Competitions – we have been highly successful in our entries to the National Mock Magistrates Competition for our Year 8 pupils. We also take part in numerous writing competitions and the National Maths Challenge competitions. We frequently have winners in the Civic Society essay competition. Last year, we were finalists in the Year 5 Boardroom Challenge Competition held in Newcastle.
5. School Council – Pupils are elected from each class by their peers to represent their views at fortnightly meetings. The Council have been responsible for many changes over the years including: changes to school uniform, refurbishment of the pupil toilets, improvements to the school library and improvements to the cookery room and Science facilities. They are also heavily involved in organising charity events and supporting staff with changes to school rules and regulations.
6. Performing Arts – we have a strong tradition of encouraging pupils to take their first steps on the stage and many have gone on to have further success in High School productions. Previous shows have included: Bugsy Malone, Panto Pandemonium, Romeo and Juliet and The Rocky Monster Show.
Please see our photo gallery to see some of the many activities on offer.